Monday 8 October 2012

My favourite house of night quotes

You can read my review here otherwise please enjoy the quotes and commentaries :D

"Crap _____! You scared me so bad I almost peed on myself" 
I swear this is the new "Fair point well made, miss Steele". Its so overused, and the reader does NOT need to know she almost peed herself every time she got scared (which seems more often than is normal with how often this phrase is used).

"darkness does not always equate to evil just like light does not always bring good"
This is quoted so many times, its like whenever she needed an extra line of writing, this would get slotted in there.

“I don’t like the way he looks at you.”
 My stomach lurched. “What do you mean? How does he look at me?”
“Like you’re not a student and he’s not a teacher.”
This series is so quotable, this is one of my favourite ones, but don't be fooled. Context is everything.

 "I continued as I finished smudging a little liner on my eyes (And I mean a little - the line-your-eyes-till-you-look-like-a-scary-raccoon is definitely not the look for me. Actually, its not the look for anyone.)"
Because when I think "a LITTLE liner" I instantly picture raccoon eyes and therefore totally needed her to clarify that for me. Thanks so much Zoey!

"Really?" I was amazed people actually lived like that. "You guys are rich."
 Aphrodite's parents have automatic bill payments... Apparently only rich people can set that up...

"The cupboards had a bunch of stuff in them, but it was all rich-people food. You know, imported tins of fish that still have their heads on, smoked oysters, other strange meat and pickled stuff, and long boxes of something called water crackers."
Man, those canned foods are so expensive these days...
"I thought she was full of poopy, but didn't want to say anything (especially since she'd make fun of me saying "poopy" instead of the s word)."
Please someone, find me a 17 year old who talks like this!

"Thankfully, the clouds had that had rolled in during the late night hours had multiplied, and the morning was dark and gloomy. All Aphrodite would have to do was cross the little grassy area that sat between the road and the wall that surrounded the school, go through the trapdoor, and then follow the sidewalk a short way to the dorm. As the Twin's would say, easy-peasy. I squinted up at the sky, considering whether I should try asking the wind to blow in more clouds to make it even darker, but a glance at Aphrodite's sullen face made me decide, nah, should deal with the sunlight."

Thanks so much Zoey for that extremely detailed explanation of how Aphrodite planned to go through the trapdoor to get back to the dorms. I kind of understood that from Aphrodite's dialogue piece where she stated she was going to go through the trapdoor to get back to the dorms. Meanwhile, P.C. Cast has another half page of pointless writing.

"While I attempted to continue to convince myself I'd made the right choice, I remembered what else was going on today. The Dark Daughters' Full Moon Ritual. My heart sank into my clenching stomach. Normally, I'd be excited and a little nervous. Today I was just stressed. On top of everything else, having Aphrodite join our circle wasn't going to be a popular move. Whatever. My friends were just going to have to deal with it. I sighed. My life seriously sucked. Plus, I was probably depressed. Didn't depressed people sleep for, like, ever?"
Context: Zoey is dating 3 of the hottest guys, one of them being the super hunky temp poetry teacher. She suspects her step-father of murder, oh ya, and she's the strongest fledgling (vampire in transition) to ever grace the face of the earth, has special magical powers, immense physical beauty, and is virtually unstoppable, is the most popular girl on campus and has a bunch of friends who follow her around like loyal little puppies. Yes Zoey, you're life is SOOOO awful! How do you wake up every morning. You might as well just commit sepaku right now. Clearly after sleeping EIGHT HOURS the night before you are severely depressed and should seek medical attention...

I'll sign off on my dialogue pieces that made these awful books worth it.

"Yeah," he said coldly. "Finding out my girlfriend, who has been playing oh-so-innocent with me, is really a slut would have been no problem if you'd, I don't know, advertised it in the school paper. Yeah, that would have been way better."
I flinched at his hateful tone, "I'm not a slut."
"Looked like you were doing a good imitation of one."
"Stop plaaying games with me. And you think Aphrodite is a hateful bitch? You make her look like a fucking angel!" (Woohoo go Erik!)
A.

No comments:

Post a Comment